#0 in nav menu

Home Forums Modern #0 in nav menu

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

oakhillman
    Participant

#0 in nav menu

Resolved

Actually this pertains to more than just the Modern theme, but I notice you’re using #0 in the menu items that only have children and don’t actually link to a page. In your documentation it looks like you’re showing only # should be used but when I look at the theme demo I’m seeing #0 for those links. Maybe you could clarify what you’re doing there.

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi oakhillman,

This is really nothing but dummy, blind links :) I started to use #0 some time ago instead of just # as the zero link will not cause the page to jump up, unlike the later (the hash only). Actually, it doesn’t have to be #0, it can be any #text while there is no element with id="text" on the page as that would mean the page would jump (scroll) to that element after clicking the link. And as there is no id="0" element on any of my theme demo websites pages, I simply use that one as a convenience ;)

The screenshots for megamenu in my themes documentations are a bit old. But still relevant, and really doesn’t really matter what blind link you use there – it’s your own preference.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

oakhillman
    Participant

I surely appreciate your explanation. I’ve been leaving the link field empty with my dummy links, which of course recently I found is a problem for accessibility because you can’t tab to the link.

I did some searching and it appears using the # is what other folks do, but I like your addition of the 0. I’ll be using that going forward. Thank you!

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi oakhillman,

Actually, I think that from accessibility point of view no blind link is OK. Ideally all links work and directs you to somewhere.

If you are using a megamenu, try to link the megamenu column title menu item to some page maybe. To a page, where you can use a “List child pages” page template if you are using a Reykjavik WordPress theme. Or you can simply put links to the child pages in the parent page content if you are using Modern theme (or use a page builder to create some interesting layout for that page).

Really, you have many options how to deal with this, but I really think that blind links are not ideal from accessibility point of view. I only use them on demo websites.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

oakhillman
    Participant

I’m sure you know more about what’s acceptable regarding accessibility than I do. At least using the #0 instead of leaving the link field empty like I’ve been doing, allows someone using a keyboard to navigate to the link. I didn’t even realize until I started working on making websites accessible that my child links were NOT accessible to someone using a keyboard.

But your “List child pages” template in Reykjavik is brilliant. What a wonderful solution. Thank you for being so thoughtful with your theme design.

oakhillman
    Participant

I want to send you a donation. How do I do that?

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Oliver Juhas. Reason: Making the reply public as there is no sensitive information

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi oakhillman,

Thank you for considering a donation! You can certainly support my free themes development by donating – see details at https://www.webmandesign.eu/contact/

If you are using Modern theme, you can also find the link in Appearance → Welcome in your WordPress dashboard.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.