Accessibility Issue with Modern Theme

Home Forums Modern Accessibility Issue with Modern Theme

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Scott
    Participant

Accessibility Issue with Modern Theme

Resolved

We are a government contractor here in British Columbia, Canada. In our efforts to create a more accessible website we came across the Modern theme. The live demo passed the accessibility check here AChecker with no errors. This is the accessiblity checker suggested by the government. When I applied the Modern theme to our existing website, it comes up with just one error:

Check 188: Label text is empty.
    Repair: Add text to the label element.
    Error Line 241, Column 6:
    <input type="search" class="search-field" placeholder="Search &hellip;" value="" name="s" />

It seems that it wouldn’t be hard to add some text to the label tag but I can’t seem to find where the code that generates the search box is located.

Thanks

Scott

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi Scott,

Please note that the theme does not modify the search form code in any way.

I went ahead and actually compared the search form code on your website with the theme demo website (using browser code inspector). And it is identical from what I can see and comes from WordPress native function. If you check the function code you can see clearly there is a label wrapped around the search input field with accessibly hidden text (check the code lines 211 to 214 in the get_search_form() function).

I’ve actually received several accessibility questions regardless AChecker in the past and most of them were false positives. This leads me to believe the AChecker is not very good tool to check for accessibility. Please read a knowledge base article for how to test website accessibility.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Scott
    Participant

Thanks Oliver. I like your themes a lot. As you know we use the Modern theme where I work and I bought the Monument Valley theme for my personal woodworking website. I won’t share that URL yet as it still needs a lot of work!

Scott

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Oliver Juhas. Reason: Making the reply public as there is no sensitive information

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi Scott,

I’m really glad you like my themes and put them in good use!

Whenever you are ready to share your website URL, I’d like to check it out, definitely. In case of any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Also, you might want to check my most recent free accessibility ready theme Reykjavik ;)

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.