*Back to top* doesnt work for accessibilty users in any of the themes.

Home Forums Reykjavik *Back to top* doesnt work for accessibilty users in any of the themes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

presencecatalyst
    Participant

*Back to top* doesnt work for accessibilty users in any of the themes.

Resolved

Hey there! Have you noticed this support service is provided FREE of charge?
    If you like the speed and accuracy of resolutions, please consider supporting me with a small donation. Thank you

Consider a donation →

Hi,

This ticket pertains to ALL your Accessibilty Ready themes and not just “Reykjavik”.

I have been reviewing your themes for a client of mine – a municipal office. They need a fully accessible theme and, I’m happy to say, my testing of your themes with the two accessibilty profiles of a keyboard-only user and a screen reader user both show promise.

Some of your themes are not WCAG 2.0 conformant at all but some do very, very well (which is so hard to find)!

I wanted to offer you a small bit of advice and that is to fix the “Back to top” link in all your themes so that, when it’s clicked (i.e. onClick()), it takes the keyboard’s focus to the first element in the page (e.g. the first link in the Skip menu at the start of the page).

I hope that you are testing your themes keeping the various types of accessiblity users in mind and actually trying to use your theme demo sites as a user with some form of physical and/or mental limitation.

Thanks for your wonderful themes, I hope this advice proves useful to you!

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi presencecatalyst,

Thank you for spotting this! I will surely fix this issue in next theme updates.

Please note that not all themes I provide are accessibility ready. Only newest ones and one updated old theme. Please check https://www.webmandesign.eu/project-tag/accessibility-ready/ for my accessibility ready themes.

I do test my themes as best as I can. But sometimes something might slip through, just like in this case. Again, thank you for spotting this issue and reporting it!

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

oakhillman
    Participant

presencecatalyst, Glad you spotted this issue. I was wondering about it for some time now. And Oliver, thanks for being so responsive. You’re probably more responsive to your free theme Reykjavik than some developers are for paid themes. That said, if users are reading this I encourage you to donate to Oliver.

https://www.paypal.me/webmandesign/20

Oliver is too modest so I’m tooting the horn for him. I absolutely love Reykjavik and I’m using it on every website I design lately. Thank you Oliver!

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

I’m glad the theme works for you just like it should. Thank you for encouraging my theme users! I really should step up the marketing game ;)

Here are some quick dirty fixes for the issue now:

• The theme integrates back to top link only in social links menu actually. The easiest way to remove the link from there is to use custom CSS:
      .social-links .back-to-top-link {
      	display: none;
      }

Other back to top links (such as in footer credits and breadcrumbs navigation) are actually content related and you can tweak/remove them using theme options or breadcrumbs plugin options.

• Another quick and global fix would be to directly edit the theme’s assets/js/scripts-global.js file and add this code before closing brackets of back to top link click event treatment (so, on line 72 for current Reykjavik theme’s file):
      $( '#page' ).attr( 'tabindex', 0 ).focus();

And yes, you can edit this file directly now as I will introduce a fix for this issue in next theme update anyway.

Hope this helps meanwhile.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

oakhillman
    Participant

You’re the best Oliver. I just talked a web designer friend of mine into using Reykjavik.

presencecatalyst
    Participant

You’re absolutely right!

I am not using any of Oliver’s themes at the moment. I’m searching for an accessible theme for my client. I have pointed to several of the paid themes and, I think, the old theme that has been re-vamped (as Oliver mentioned) to be accessible ready as well.

I absolutely believe that it’s imperative to give back when making use of another person’s work, esp. for things like these CRM themes.

I’ll be sure to make a donation or purchase a theme if so selected by my client.

To Oliver, thank you very much for your time and efforts! The world needs more people who try so hard!

oakhillman
    Participant

right on!

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Thank you very much guys, you’ve made my day! :)

I’ll do my best to release themes update ASAP.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.