Custom intro image mix blend mode not working

Resolved

Hey there! Have you noticed this support service is provided FREE of charge?
If you like the speed and accuracy of resolutions, please consider supporting me with a small donation. Thank you

Consider a donation →

Home Forums Cindy Custom intro image mix blend mode not working

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Danilo
    Participant

Custom intro image mix blend mode not working

Resolved

Hi,

first of all I want to say thank you for this fantastic theme. There are not many themes that have such an excellent code base, no bloat, not reinventing the wheel, built thoughtfully on what WordPress offers and great accessibility, too.

Yet, I have a couple question. Unfortunately, I can’t provide admin credentials.

1. In Customizer -> Theme Options -> Color: Intro I changed the “Image mix blend mode”, but it does not apply. It gets saved to the DB. I then hooked into cindy/customize/css_variables/get_array. There it is already gone. Maybe the processing in /cindy/includes/Customize/CSS_Variables.php or the select sanitization is screwing things up? (Other settings like the opacity are working, obviously.)

2. In the above file I found a compatibility() method. Does it mean, the theme should work in IE11? Because it doesn’t (which is ok, just asking).

3. I started with the built in starter content. On the category archive page the “Hello World” post has problems displaying its featured image properly. I few hints to reproduce:

– No plugins, a fresh install and the theme’s and WordPress’ starter content.
    – The problem is only with the “Hello World” post (ID 1) with a featured image. (Really! That’s why it’s not a big deal, I just deleted it.)
    – It is only on the category archive page /category/catname, not on the blog page.
    – The permalink structure is /%category%/%postname%.
    – It looks like styles from a page view get applied to the featured image in the posts list, so maybe it is a permalink conflict, because I have a page /news and the actual category archive where this happens is /category/news.

4. What is the best way to remove the author from the entry meta information? I modified the entry-meta-item-author.php partial template in my child theme. Is this the recommended method?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
    Danilo

WebMan Design
    Keymaster

Hi Danilo,

Thank you very much for your comment! I’m really glad you like the theme :)

Now to your questions/issues:

1. Thank you for spotting this! I’ve just pushed the theme version 1.0.7 update that fixes the issue. Please update the theme. (PS: You have a great debugging skills! Indeed, the sanitization was not working properly.)
    2. Yes, the compatibility method is adding JS file so Internet Explorer browsers could at least use CSS variables. However, as you are aware already, the theme was not actually coded for Internet Explorer browser. I decided to ditch the support for this browser this year finally as the usage percentile is very low. I will remove the backwards compatibility script in the future too, basically keeping it in the theme just as legacy now. And honestly, I wasn’t testing the theme with IE11 either. But if you need an IE11 compatibility, please open a new support ticket describing the issues in more details and I will see what I can do to help.
    3. This is unfortunate, really. I was looking forward to when starter content was first introduced to WordPress, but the functionality is not satisfactory enough. I’ve already logged some support tickets with WordPress development team to improve things, but the release date of those improvements is pushing further and further away. I guess starter content is no longer a WordPress priority since Gutenberg editor release… This is unfortunate, but I’ll do my best to see what I can do to fix this in future theme update.

BTW: Does the issue apply on front-page when you publish customizer settings? Or is this just in starter content when it is not published?

4. The theme actually supports Jetpack plugin’s Content Options, but for a quick fix I’d use custom CSS:
      .entry-meta .author {
      	display: none;
      }

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

WebMan Design
    Keymaster

Also, I’d like to ask whether I could use your comment as a testimonial if you don’t mind? Thank you.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

WebMan Design
    Keymaster

Hi Danilo,

Re point 3., could you please log a new support ticket and describe the issue with featured image in more details and also provide a screenshot please? I’ve tried to reproduce your steps but I can’t see any issue with featured image in URL/category/news nor URL/news archive pages.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Danilo
    Participant

Hi Oliver,

thank you for the detailed answer and the fix, of course.

1. I can confirm that this is fixed.

2. I don’t need IE11 support, just wanted to understand why the theme is “broken” in IE when there is compatibility code in the theme. Thanks.

3. See Display of Post #1 in Category #1 broken on Category Archive.

4. Unfortunately, using Jetpack is not an option. I prefer the template override over custom css, because the HTML is really gone not just hiddem. My question was rather if it is the wrong way to duplicate the partial template.

Thanks again.

Regards,
    Danilo

Danilo
    Participant

Also, I’d like to ask whether I could use your comment as a testimonial if you don’t mind? Thank you.

You’re welcome to do so.

Keep up the good work.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Danilo.
    WebMan Design
    Keymaster

Hi Danilo,

Thank you for permission to use your comment as testimonial :)

4. In that case please go ahead and override the templates/parts/meta/entry-meta-item-author.php file via your child theme. In this particular case it is the best approach indeed. The easiest solution is to remove all the code from the file copied into your child theme. Also, please note that you should keep the (sub)folder structure (path to the file) in your child theme so the override works properly.

PS: A sample child theme is included in the theme ZIP package that you download from ThemeForest. Or use the one linked in theme docs.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.