Document outline

Home Forums Icelander Document outline

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

kiouz
    Participant

Document outline

Resolved

Hey there! Have you noticed this support service is provided FREE of charge?
    If you like the speed and accuracy of resolutions, please consider supporting me with a small donation. Thank you

Consider a donation →

Hi all :)

I submit this topic because I have two problems with my document outline.
    I use the Icelander theme which put a <h2> before every menu (primary menu in my case). How can I remove this ?

Furthermore, I use a static page for my home page. The theme display the title of this page in a full image at the top.
    But this text is a <h1>, it should be a <h2> because the <h1> is already use for the logo.
    How can I change this too ?

Thanks for your response ;)

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi kiouz,

Please note that none of these are accessibility issues. Or is there any special reason why you need to change these?

Anyway, the next major theme update will include the update to headings structure and both of these will be handled in there. The theme will get the same headings structure as my Reykjavik theme, basically. Are you OK waiting for the theme update, though I have no ETA yet? (I will do my best to release the theme update this year, but I can’t promise anything, sorry. Like I’ve said this is no accessibility issue, so the priority to update Icelander theme is not high.)

Anyway, if you feel this is a huge issue for your website now, you can go ahead and copy the menu display files from icelander/templates/parts/menu/*.* into your child theme (keeping folder structure, so into child-theme-folder/templates/parts/menu/*.*) and edit the files there, removing the H2 headings.

You can also control the intro section title heading tag using this code in your child theme‘s functions.php file:

function child_theme_intro_title_tag( $tag ) {
      if ( is_front_page() ) {
        $tag = 'h2';
      }
      return $tag;
    }
    add_filter( 'wmhook_icelander_intro_title_tag', 'child_theme_intro_title_tag' );

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

kiouz
    Participant

Thank you for your reply.

This is not an accessibility issue but a SEO issue :)
    The document outline is not right and I must correct it.

I will try to patch it first like you wrote until the theme update.

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi kiouz,

Please understand that good accessibility also means a good SEO ;) I don’t really see a SEO issue here, though. Could you maybe explain or provide links to articles where they say this is a bad SEO practice?

As far as I know SEO is even more benevolent to headings structure than accessibility (as far as you use HTML5 markup, which the theme does use).

In accessible websites you should really use just a single H1 tag on a page and the only exception from this rule is accepted for website front page, where you can have a H1 for your logo as well as for the page title. This is why Icelander front page uses such approach.

However, as far as I know, SEO has no issue with multiple H1s and certainly no issue with using a heading as a title for navigation elements. Multiple H1 are treated as the specific HTML5 page section (semantic element) heading. And the theme does not break this rule.

Don’t get me wrong here. Surely, I am strictly for a single H1 tag on any page as I focus on accessibility (and SEO). But really, as far as I know these are not SEO coding issues.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.