Editing Auberge WordPress theme.

Home Forums Auberge Editing Auberge WordPress theme.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

perigrafo
    Participant

Editing Auberge WordPress theme.

Resolved

I’ve been using the visual editor to modify Main menu and other features in my Auberge theme, but I want to modify more things (i.e I want each concept displayed in the menu in a different color and size, align them differently, add icons and much nmore). The thing is, I don’t feel comfortable with the “custom css” option and I want to access the files via ftp, but in “/content/themes/auberge” I can’t find anywhere the personalised files I need, with the text I have typed. Where are they? I can’t find them outside the visual editor! Thank you in advance.

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi perigrafo,

If I understand correctly, you are looking for a way to style your website’s Primary Menu navigational menu, right?

First I suggest trying to search for a plugin that allows you to modify the navigational menus. Maybe you’ll find one that can do what you aim for.

Other than that, modifying colors and alignment of navigational menu can be achieved using custom CSS only. You can check your navigational menu HTML using your browser code inspector so you know what custom CSS code you need to apply to style the specific menu item to your needs. Each menu item has its own index class you can use as CSS selector, for example.

If you don’t feel comfortable coding CSS, I suggest hiring a developer that can help.

I strongly recommend not to edit theme files. All your custom modifications to theme files will be lost once you update the theme in the future. If you really need to tweak the theme’s functionality, use a child theme.
    However, website navigational menu items (and the text you have typed) can not be found in the theme files. WordPress uses a database to store data and the theme only displays the data (using WordPress functions). So, the data you have typed in are stored in your website database. But really, you should not edit them there either. Use a custom CSS to style your navigational menu. Or a plugin :)

If you are new to WordPress, I suggest reading and watching tutorials mentioned in “First steps with WordPress” section of theme documentation.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

perigrafo
    Participant

Thank you very much Oliver, just two more questions about sidebars and that’s all: how can I
    – create new sidebars to have a different one for each page template?
    – change the position of the sidebar provided? (I want it on the left).

Best regards,
    PeriGrafo

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi PeriGrafo,

Please note that you should log a new issue as a new issue. It’s easier to resolve mono-thematic support tickets – please read terms of service.

1. To use multiple sidebars and display them instead of existing ones, please use WooSidebars plugin
    2. I can’t really see any sidebar on your website, but you could move it to the left using custom CSS such as:

@media only screen and (min-width: 55em) {

.sidebar {
      		float: left
      		padding-left: 0;
      		padding-right: 8%;
      	}

.is-singular .site-main > .entry {
      		float: right;
      	}

}

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

perigrafo
    Participant

Thank you very much. First of all, I apologize for not opening a new issue. I’ll do it next time. As for the sidebars, I managed to register some in the functions.php file and place them on the left, but will continue working on it, there’s a lot to improve. Lost a lot of practice since I first designed my personal blog years ago. Thanks again.

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi perigrafo,

Please do not edit the theme files. You will loose all your modifications once you update your theme. Instead please use a child theme.

To create a custom sidebars you can also use a plugin such as WooSidebars.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.