Editing fundamental HTML and PHP Safely

Home Forums Auberge Editing fundamental HTML and PHP Safely

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

luke
    Participant

Editing fundamental HTML and PHP Safely

Hey Oliver! You have an incredible design on this theme, but to personalize it a bit, I have a decent amount of HTML and PHP I want to add on certain pages. Now, I have done EXTENSIVE research on child themes and how updating can make me lose all those changes. But, child themes don’t have the flexibility that I would prefer from editing the parent theme directly. What can I do? I want to edit the parent theme (files like single.php, not just functions.php and styles.css) without all the risk involved. I am sure as a seasoned developer (I am not) you have a solution to this. Thanks!

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi luke,

I can assure you there is nothing you can’t do with a child theme :) My themes are built in such a flexible way that it is possible to override anything via a child theme.

As for custom CSS styles, you can simply put yours inside your child theme‘s style.css file and override the theme native styles. Try using your web browser code inspector to determine the CSS for your theme modifications.

As for overriding the single.php file, I don’t think this is necessary. Could you maybe describe in more details what you aim to achieve please?

Tip: I also provide free sample child theme at https://github.com/webmandesign/child-theme

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.