GPL license question

Home Forums Icelander GPL license question

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

sirsampleman
    Participant

GPL license question

Resolved

Hey there! Have you noticed this support service is provided FREE of charge?
    If you like the speed and accuracy of resolutions, please consider supporting me with a small donation. Thank you

Consider a donation →

Hello,

I noticed that your themes are sold under the GPL license. I understand that under the terms of the GPL, a buyer is permitted to modify, redistribute, and resell for commercial purposes. I wanted to make sure that this is the case but if I purchase one of your themes then since theyre licensed under the GPL, will I be able to use the theme on any number of websites without having to purchase a new license every time? Will there be any limitations on doing so (legal or technical)?

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi sirsampleman,

I understand that under the terms of the GPL, a buyer is permitted to modify, redistribute, and resell for commercial purposes.

Yes, that’s true, I can not restrict you doing so in any way. However, please consider that I earn living with my themes and I’ve put a lot of time and heart building them.

Please don’t forget that according to terms of GPL, you need to keep me credited as an original author of the code even in your derivate work. And your derivate work will need to be licensed under the same GPL license as my theme.

Also, please understand that I can not provide support, nor updates for your derivate work.

will I be able to use the theme on any number of websites without having to purchase a new license every time?

Again, yes, the GPL allows this. But please consider at least purchasing some more theme licenses, if not for all of your websites where you’ll be using the theme. Please understand that I earn living selling WordPress themes, and I think the theme price is set very fairly to support me as an author :)

Thank you for understanding!

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.