hide sidebar on The Events Calendar page

Home Forums Reykjavik hide sidebar on The Events Calendar page

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

oakhillman
    Participant

hide sidebar on The Events Calendar page

Resolved

Hey there! Have you noticed this support service is provided FREE of charge?
    If you like the speed and accuracy of resolutions, please consider supporting me with a small donation. Thank you

Consider a donation →

Have a customer using The Events Calendar plugin by Modern Tribe on a website that I’m re-theming with Reykjavik. I found a post in the Icelander support forum that removes the intro image and title for the default calendar view. Here’s the CSS and it appears to work fine.

.blog .intro-container,
    .archive .intro-container {
    	display: none;
    }

I also want to remove the sidebar. You recommended the WooSidebars plugin for that in the forum about a year ago. I see the plugin hasn’t been updated for 10 months. Any chance there’s a better solution? Here’s the calendar page in question.

https://snowflower.oakhill.top/sf-calendar/

oakhillman
    Participant

Now that I think about it, I suppose I could delete all the widgets from the default sidebar and that would get rid of the sidebar. Probably don’t want to do that as we use the sidebar on other pages.

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

How are you keeping? :)

Let me start with WooSidebars. Indeed, the plugin seems to be very rarely updated. I guess guys at Woo don’t have much time for it already. I want to contribute to the plugin too, but haven’t found time for that either ;) Anyway, I’ve started to recommend a different plugin that I’ve tested and is working perfectly fine.

But you are on the right path here to hide the sidebar the correct way. Using the sidebar management plugin you can simply create a custom empty widget area and set it up to replace the default theme sidebar wherever you need (on your events calendar archive pages). This will effectively get rid of the theme’s sidebar on those pages and should set the correct theme layout automatically.

As for the CSS code, please note that the one you have posted is actually hiding the intro on blog page and all archives, including categories, tags, date archives, for example. To target the events calendar archive page only I suggest using more specific:

.events-archive .intro-container {
    	display: none;
    }

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

oakhillman
    Participant

Oliver,

I am well. Hope you can say the same.

Thanks for giving me the more targeted CSS. And the Content Aware Sidebars plugin works fine. I think I’ve used it before actually. There’s a little learning curve but not bad.

So issue resolved! I’ll be doing a donation.

I encourage anyone reading this who has received support from Oliver to do the same. He’s the kind of developer we need and should be paid.

Mark

oakhillman
    Participant

Just a little update. I had a spot of trouble with the Content Aware Sidebars plugin and decided to try Custom Sidebars – Dynamic Widget Area Manager by WPMU DEV. It worked perfectly and I have to say I find it a lot more intuitive to use.

Anyhow, just thought it was worth mentioning.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-sidebars/

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for another donation :)

And thank you for the tip. I’ll check the plugin out. I am actually a huge fan of WooSidebars as it does not mess up with WordPress’ widgets admin screen. The only downside WooSidebars plugin has currently is that it does not keep the proper HTML of the sidebar it replaces. I will do my best to contribute to the plugin fixing this issue so I can recommend WooSidebars again ;)

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.