Home page demo item missing

Home Forums Icelander Home page demo item missing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

aimelise
    Participant

Home page demo item missing

Resolved

Hey there! Have you noticed this support service is provided FREE of charge?
    If you like the speed and accuracy of resolutions, please consider supporting me with a small donation. Thank you

Consider a donation →

HI there,

Here is my starter URL:

http://box5410.temp.domains/~goodpep1/

I am new to all of this. I downloaded all the plugins and then installed the demo content. I am missing quite a bit on the home page from this preview:

https://preview.themeforest.net/item/icelander-accessible-business-portfolio-woocommerce-wordpress-theme/full_screen_preview/20138825?_ga=2.161446139.739288551.1557333230-1683253844.1557333230

I will not be having ecommerce so I can leave all that out but I do want the “start shopping” button (I’ll customize it to a “call now” button) and the three column boxes.

What did I miss?

Thanks so much!

aimelise
    Participant

Ok, I figured this part out, I had to switch what was downloaded in the demos.

A couple of issues:

– It’s not WYSIWYG. The site is stretched out further when live as opposed to when I’m editing it. This is annoying. I can’t even get the “Hello, Good People” line to look the same.

– I can’t find an easy way to edit that middle text under the “Hello Good People” on my site. WHERE IS IT

This site is not user friendly at all to edit for the average user.

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi aimelise,

I’m sorry, I can’t access the homepage of your website. It always throws me to error 404 page. Could you please check the URL. Does the homepage works for you?

It’s not WYSIWYG. The site is stretched out further when live as opposed to when I’m editing it.

This is true for WordPress 5.0+ versions released this year. WordPress actually changed the content editor and the theme hasn’t been updated to accommodate this new editor (as some issues still need to be resolved with it). The WYSIWYG worked perfectly fine with previous WordPress editor though, and if this is really important to you, you can still install the Classic Editor plugin to bring back the WYSIWYG behavior until the theme is updated to accommodate the new editor.

Anyway, the WYSIWYG still works perfectly fine when using a page builder.

Also, if you don’t like the theme’s outdented page content, you can easily disable it.

I can’t find an easy way to edit that middle text under the “Hello Good People” on my site. WHERE IS IT

I’m not really sure what you mean as I can’t see your website homepage. But maybe you mean the page excerpt? You can also find the button you’ve asked about in there.

For information on how to edit the page excerpt please look at previous support tickets:

Ok, I figured this part out, I had to switch what was downloaded in the demos.

Could you please describe in more details what was wrong with the theme demo import on your website so I can fix the issue if needed? Did you use the one click demo import solution? If so, the imported demo content should set up your website exactly the same as it is on theme demo website without needing to switch anything.

Tip: Please use the “Anatomy” section of theme documentation. It is full of useful information for how to edit each section of the theme.

Tip: If you are new to WordPress, please check out the “First Steps With WordPress” section in theme documentation for video tutorials.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

BWT, here is a screenshot of preview of WYSIWYG when using the Classic Editor plugin in WordPress:

At the bottom you can even see the page excerpt field. In the new editor the excerpt field is quite “hidden” indeed, unfortunately (see the support tickets I’ve linked to in my previous reply).

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

aimelise
    Participant

Hi, the URL doesn’t work for me in real life, either. I haven’t transferred it yet to my domain. I’m only copying/pasting at the top of the page after I click on “view site.”

I plugged it into an ADA check site and there are a TON of errors. But I can’t send you the URL because it doesn’t work. On your template site, when you remove the frame with the button, there are also a ton of ADA errors. I used the website https://wave.webaim.org/ For example, the site I love and want to exactly duplicate is http://www.scioto.com just to give you an example. That is also a wordpress site but the designer said they used a plug in to make sure it’s ada compatible because the template is not sold as an ADA compatible site.

Is there a way to have your template but stripped of the shopping option and all those tabs? I am a real estate broker/investor and love this layout, but I need the What You See option (you explained the fix for now) and I have to be able to make this way easier to edit. So many tabs got downloaded with the demo and I don’t know how to remove them all easily and get rid of all the “cart” options. I’m switching from Wix and they have made my life SUPER easy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

aimelise
    Participant

Here again is my URL that is listed in my settings:

http://box5410.temp.domains/~goodpep1

Maybe I missed a letter when originally sending it to you?

Hope this helps.

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi aimelise,

Thank you for the URL, but it is the same. I can access your website, but your homepage is not displayed for me. Maybe it is because of temporary URL. Or maybe you haven’t published the page yet?

I’m sorry, I can’t see any accessibility errors reported by Wave for theme demo website:

(As for the https://www.scioto.com/ I can’t seem to test it with Wave. They seem to prevent it with some script – that’s what Wave actually complains about? However, I’m not sure about that site’s accessibility as simple first TAB key pressing actually breaks accessibility best practice… – see the resources below for how to test for accessibility.)

If you are new to web accessibility, please check out these resources:

If you are not using eshop functionality, simply do not install the WooCommerce plugins.

I’m not sure what you mean by “all those tabs”. Do you mean the imported pages, posts and/or navigational menu items? Please note that you can simply delete all of those from your WordPress website to your needs.

If you are new to WordPress please check the useful links in theme documentation.

The demo content import in WordPress can not be really controlled on your needs basis. It gets imported as whole. I’m sorry, but this is how WordPress works. You need to delete all the things you don’t need afterwards, which is also stated in theme documentation.

I understand that Wix may be simpler to use then WordPress, but please note that it is not as flexible as WordPress. Also, please understand that a theme can not be blamed for WordPress user experience. Thank you for understanding. The theme documentation should help you resolve vast majority of your questions even if you are new to WordPress. Please check it out, especially the “Anatomy” section is very useful.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

aimelise
    Participant

Super frustrating the link does not work. I use Bluehost and have not linked my main domain to the bluehost page but the bluehost one should be working? I guess that’s a bluehost question.

Can I just reinstall the template and not download the demo info? I don’t know how to delete all the ecommerce stuff off the template now that it’s downloaded on there. Just deleting the plugins for it don’t delete the content, right?

I will be checking your links, thank you so much for the info, but I may have been incorrect to assume I could use WordPress as a beginner. I thought downloading the template would only require me to change to my info, not delete and change around so much.

aimelise
    Participant

Also, this may be out of your scope but I tried to download a new template (a free one) just to start over and it imported all my tabs, etc., from the Icelander demo into that one. I want to start completely over in Bluehost and this template. How do I erase everything that was imported in the demo? Basically start fresh with a new Icelander template with no downloaded demo stuff.

Last question, I promise?

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi aimelise,

Super frustrating the link does not work.

If you still need help with the page, you can also take a screenshot of it and point out the issue. Then attach the screenshot here to your reply.

Can I just reinstall the template and not download the demo info?

Sure :) Everything is up to you, everything is optional. The theme does not force you to import theme demo content. You can even install it on your own computer to check how things work/are done and then apply the knowledge on your live website.

I don’t know how to delete all the ecommerce stuff off the template now that it’s downloaded on there. Just deleting the plugins for it don’t delete the content, right?

Please note that none of that is in the theme itself. It is a (demo) content of your website. And you can delete any page, post, menu, widget,… in WordPress. Please refer to aforementioned theme documentation for tutorials on WordPress if you are new to the platform.

I may have been incorrect to assume I could use WordPress as a beginner.

Coming from Wix I understand you feel lost in WordPress. But please note it is not that hard to use. Please check the theme docs for tutorials.

I thought downloading the template would only require me to change to my info, not delete and change around so much.

Please understand that you need to delete the unwanted imported demo content. If you wouldn’t import the demo content, you don’t have to delete anything, just create your own content from scratch. Demo content is good as a starter, but it is certainly not for everyone. It should be imported only if you really need it and continue building your website from there.

I tried to download a new template (a free one) just to start over and it imported all my tabs, etc., from the Icelander demo into that one.

Please note that this is not possible. The WordPress themes are only meant for displaying your website content. And as you already imported the (Icelander) demo content, this is the actual content of your website. Switching a theme will not delete your existing content (it would be actually very bad if it does…).

If you want to start anew, there are plugins that can reset your WordPress.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.