Main menu not speaking with NVDA when closed on Firefox

Home Forums Monument Valley Main menu not speaking with NVDA when closed on Firefox

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

JediKent
    Participant

Main menu not speaking with NVDA when closed on Firefox

Resolved

Hey there! Have you noticed this support service is provided FREE of charge?
    If you like the speed and accuracy of resolutions, please consider supporting me with a small donation. Thank you

Consider a donation →

Hi, I just purchased this theme. One thing I have noticed is when the main menu is closed, the link to expand it is unlabeled. I have seen this in Firefox. The window is restored so the menu is closed. It should tell the user what link it is they are clicking.
    Thoughts?

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi JediKent,

I’m not exactly sure what you mean.

The main menu is closed/not visible on mobile, small screens only. And the toggle button to open it is actually labeled perfectly fine:

Or do you mean the submenu toggle button?

If so, then please note that when navigating through the menu using keyboard (TAB key), the submenu reveals itself automatically and is available for assistive technology including screen readers.

But I think I get your point here if you mean the submenu toggle button not being labeled. If user is actually using a mouse instead of keyboard and comes over the submenu toggle, the screen reader does not actually identify this submenu toggle button in any way. I will fix this in next theme update.

Meanwhile you can use this code in your child theme‘s functions.php to fix the submenu toggle button label immediately:

function child_theme_menu_expander( $menu_html ) {
    	return str_replace(
    		'<span class="expander" aria-hidden="true"></span>',
    		'<button class="expander" style="padding: 0; margin: 0; background: none;">'
    		. '<span class="screen-reader-text">Toggle child menu</span>'
    		. '</button>',
    		$menu_html
    	);
    }
    add_filter( 'wp_nav_menu', 'child_theme_menu_expander' );

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi,

Actually, I don’t think this is really necessary. You see, even my previous presumption of:

But I think I get your point here if you mean the submenu toggle button not being labeled. If user is actually using a mouse instead of keyboard and comes over the submenu toggle, the screen reader does not actually identify this submenu toggle button in any way.

is not really required. The sub menu toggle is not a button actually. It is just a pointer, an identifier of menu item with submenu.
    If you use a keyboard to navigate the menu, it is not needed for screen reader to say anything here as the sub (child) menu expands itself automatically.
    The same actually happens when using mouse: sub menu automatically appears when you hover the parent menu item, not just the expander/toggle “button”.

So, could you provide more info when exactly this is an issue please? How did you navigated the site so the issue occurred? Could you maybe provide a video of the issue? Thank you.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.