Maintain Reykjavik,s accessibility

Home Forums Reykjavik Maintain Reykjavik,s accessibility

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tred1975
    Participant

Maintain Reykjavik,s accessibility

Resolved

Hey there! Have you noticed this support service is provided FREE of charge?
    If you like the speed and accuracy of resolutions, please consider supporting me with a small donation. Thank you

Consider a donation →

Hey,
    first of all thanks for providing a free accessible theme. I have just installed Reykjavik. Now it is recommending to install required plugins.

My question is: which plugins i should/can install so that the accessibility of the theme is still maintained? For example i read that installing the Beaver Builder will override the theme,s accessibility…

Sidequestion: How much estimated work will it be to get the theme accessible again if all Plugins are installed except WooCommerce.

thanks for your help
    tred

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi tred,

Thank you, I’m glad you like the theme :)

My question is: which plugins i should/can install so that the accessibility of the theme is still maintained?

Please understand that I can’t really answer that question, I don’t know all the plugins available for WordPress :) You just need to test each plugin you install. From my experience, on front-end most plugins produce accessible code, or at least are capable of doing so if used cautiously. On back-end (admin), it is much worse though.

All I can advice here is to install whatever plugin you need for your website and then test your website with accessibility evaluation tool.

Tip: You can check the most important plugins I used in theme demo website at demo content GitHub repository.

For example i read that installing the Beaver Builder will override the theme,s accessibility…

I’m not sure where you’ve read that, but it’s not really true. Beaver Builder is a page builder and if you build your page content following accessibility best practices, you should be perfectly fine with it (and with other page builders too). Surely, you can break your website accessibility with it too, but you can do the same with native WordPress content editor too :)

Most likely you have read something about Beaver Themer, which is a different plugin that allows you to override and create custom website header, footer and templates. Those will override the theme respective components, so there the theme has no control over the accessibility. But it is related to Beaver Themer (and similar theme modifier) plugin, not Beaver Builder page builder plugin.

Sidequestion: How much estimated work will it be to get the theme accessible again if all Plugins are installed except WooCommerce.

Again, this is a question I can not really answer. Please understand that it is not plugins (in most cases), but what you do with them that can break the accessibility of your website. The content you create with your plugins have to adhere to accessibility best practices so your website is accessible too. But content is user entered, not plugin or theme generated.

The theme itself only recommends (not requires) a subset of plugins used in theme demo website, so when you use those plugins right, you are able to build accessible website, just like theme demo website is.

Tip: Try to install the theme demo content (even on your computer) to see how things are done in theme and plugins.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

tred1975
    Participant

Hey Oliver,

thanks for the fast response.

Please understand that I can’t really answer that question, I don’t know all the plugins available for WordPress :)

Sorry i was not clear enough. I meant only the 6 plugins the theme is recommending except WooCommerce. If installing those 5 will still maintain accessibility of the theme?

I try to understand that the content created, it is which is accessible or not.

Yes i was confounding Beaver Builder with Beaver Themer. Sry.

Ok, after your coming response i will try to install the demo content and go on from there..

Thanks
    tred

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi tred,

Like I’ve mentioned in my previous reply, those plugins are used on theme demo website, which is accessible. It really depends on how you use those plugins. You can build accessible as well as inaccessible website with them.

Here is some overview of theme recommended plugins:

Beaver Builder is a page builder, for building your website content. If you build your content accessibly, it will keep your website accessible. I can’t speak for the actual editor accessibility though, please ask the plugin developer if this is required too.

WebMan Templates plugin is only an addon for Beaver Builder. Has nothing to do with accessibility really.

Advanced Custom Fields provides easy admin interface to edit various page/post additional options. It has nothing to do with front-end accessibility.

Jetpack should be perfectly fine, I don’t know about any accessibility complain with Jetpack. If you find something, please consult with plugin support.

The same would go for WooCommerce.

One Click Demo Import is used only once, and only if you want to import the theme demo content. Has nothing to do with accessibility.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

tred1975
    Participant

Thanks,
    i have installed the demo content. Everything is running ok. I have installed Breadcrumb NavXT and followed: https://webmandesign.github.io/docs/reykjavik/#breadcrumbs

I cant get Home to be displayed too. Can you give me a quick hint, if not i would post on the plugin support site.

https://www.griffbereit-rucksack.de/

thanks
    tred

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi tred,

As you can see at https://webmandesign.github.io/docs/reykjavik/#breadcrumbs I don’t provide full setup instructions for Breadcrumb NavXT plugin:

(feel free to set up all the other breadcrumbs settings to your needs)

Simply set the other options of the plugin to your needs, specifically for your website.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Try this for example:

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

tred1975
    Participant

Thanks for your help here

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.