Home Forums Icelander No Social Media Icons & Changed CSS after Update

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

For example, disabling your child theme (and using purely the parent theme) you can see all the color properly applied. (However, please note that WordPress treats this as a new theme, so the theme options are actually different than with your child theme. Surely you can tweak them to be the same to see.)

Please fix your child theme to fix the issues you experience.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

compra
    Participant

I didn’t get it.
    I deleted now all the content from /assets/css/custom-styles.css but there isn’t any effect.
    Plus the social media icons didn’t show up, if I update the icelander theme on the Live-System.
    We did this already ones, but the icons didn’t come back.

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Thank you for the access account, you can delete it now.

I checked your child theme code after logging into your website and I can give you these quick tips:

• No need to override 404.php template file. You can simply use a plugin to create custom 404 pages.
    • Is there any reason why you override archive.php, attachment.php, comments.php, footer.php, header.php, index.php, page.php, search.php, sidebar-[SIDEBAR_ID].php, sidebar.php, single.php files? Please use action and filter hooks instead.

If you are trying to achieve something specific, please describe your issue/request in more details so I can help. Overriding those files is really not necessary, especially the header.php and footer.php file – I can’t actually see any modification in the files, they seems to be exactly same to parent theme files.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Actually, I can now see that you are overriding a lot more files via your child theme. Probably all of them. Please do not do that. Use your child theme to override only the functionality you need to override.

Otherwise when you override the whole file in your child theme, if anything changes in parent theme, you will need to keep your child theme code up to date.

Using action and filter hooks is much more flexible solution for functionality overrides and custom functionality injections.

I suggest you to create a new child theme from scratch (you can download sample one) and copy just the styles from your current child theme style.css into the new one first. Then you can add additional functionality if needed.

Hope this will help you resolve your issues.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

compra
    Participant

Ok I can confirm that the styles came back after activating the pure icelander theme.
    I will check the child theme and remove all the files you noticed.
    I don’t think that we are needing them in this form.

If there is any need of the assets folder in my child theme then?
    Where do I have to put my css modifications, if it’s not the custom-styles.css in the assets folder of my child theme?
    Do I only need than a styles.css in my child-theme folder for my modifications??

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi compra,

I deleted now all the content from /assets/css/custom-styles.css but there isn’t any effect.

Please note that you are overriding much more files/functionality in your child theme. You should know the code in your child theme, plese understand I can’t really say what your child theme does.

Plus the social media icons didn’t show up, if I update the icelander theme on the Live-System.

You are overriding this functionality in your child theme, that’s why it is not displayed correctly.

If there is any need of the assets folder in my child theme then?

Please note that I can’t reasonably answer this question :) It depends on your needs. I’ve noticed there are some custom JavaScript files you are using and possibly loading via your child theme. So, you should definitely keep those. But than again, you can use any other folder structure for your custom files, no need to have them in assets folder. It is really up to you and up to what you want to achieve with your child theme. But otherwise there is no need to override whole theme core files in your child theme. This might help: https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/basics/including-css-javascript/

Where do I have to put my css modifications, if it’s not the custom-styles.css in the assets folder of my child theme?

You can simply put them into your child theme‘s style.css file. Or even into Appearance → Customize → Additional CSS field. Please see the links below for how to add custom CSS code into WordPress. Also please check the theme documentation info about child themes.

Do I only need than a styles.css in my child-theme folder for my modifications??

Yes, style.css file is required in every WordPress theme.
    If you are new to WordPress development, please consider hiring an expert to help you with your modifications.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

compra
    Participant

It just worked.
    After deleting all the files, which we didn’t created by ourselves, everything went back to normal.
    Thank you very much for your fast and competent help.

Case closed :)

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.