Overflow-wrap dysfunction.

Home Forums Reykjavik Overflow-wrap dysfunction.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Henrykiki
    Participant

Overflow-wrap dysfunction.

Resolved

Hey there! Have you noticed this support service is provided FREE of charge?
    If you like the speed and accuracy of resolutions, please consider supporting me with a small donation. Thank you

Consider a donation →

Hi there, sorry in advance for all mistakes I could make. I’m belgian, and it’s been a long time since I wrote in english.

I’ve got one problem with Reykjavik theme on my website, which one who is in construction and not visible for visitors for this time. So I don’t know how I could show you my problem, but I can try to explain it right here.

The problem I met, is that my sentence words are cutted without a “-” and often, they are cut at the wrong place. For example, the words “renversa” in french should be cutted like “ren-versa” or “renver-sa” and here it’s been cutted like “re nversa”. It doesn’t look right, mostly in french language… you know… all the rules that this language has… :-) kind of difficult to fix.

I try to put all the “overflow-wrap” as normal, but indeed, that’s put down the “overflow” system and sentence doesn’t pass to the next like, and continue as the block was an “inline-block”.

I never touch at the CSS file or other file from the theme. I always try to fix by the “Inspector” from Google Chrome before changing anything in a file… But my problem is not finding a solution.

The problem with words cutted at the wrong places.

Other image to show that the words are always cutted in wrong places

With Overflow-wrap set to normal

If I could do anything to help you… to help me.
    Don’t hesitate to tell me what I have to do.

I don’t want to change the Theme, because I really like this one. But my project as to be publish very soon, so I have to find solutions, and if not working, I’ll be forced to find something else.

Thanks in advance. Sorry to not be able to show you a “web page”.

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi Henrykiki,

First, if you would like to know more about how browsers split words and how to introduce hyphenation, please read one of the past support tickets.

However, I don’t think your issue is related to the browser hyphenation. From your screenshots I can see the words breaking apart just like you’ve said, but normally this should never happen as there is a plenty of space for the browser to actually put the word to a new line without breaking it.

Indeed, the theme is styled to break only a really really long words, which is actually required by WordPress, but this style is not the problem here.

All of this makes me believe there are a hard, non-breaking spaces in your text, which mean the spaces become actually part of the words, just like letters (at least that’s how web browsers treats them). This issue is usually introduced when you copy and paste the text from another software/app (such as word processor) into your WordPress. Is this the case on your website too, have you pasted the copied text into your pages/posts?

When your text contains every space as a non-breaking one, web browser treats the whole sentence (or even the whole paragraph) as a single word, thus splitting (breaking) it wherever it needs (wherever it finds the character hits the edge of the text container).

To remove the non-breaking spaces from your text I think the only solution is to replace the characters: https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/47930/how-to-replace-non-breaking-spaces-with-regular-spaces/

Tip: You can read more about non-breaking spaces on internet.

Tip: When pasting a text from 3rd party software/app into WordPress, I suggest pasting it with SHIFT+CTRL+V instead of using simple CTRL+V. The SHIFT+CTRL+V key combination should paste the text unformatted, thus resolving any non-breaking space and other issues too. You should then format the text to your needs directly in WordPress.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Henrykiki
    Participant

Thank you a lot Oliver !

I had try to fix the sentence “symbol” that should be added between words, but when I able the caracters “invisible” to be “visible” this one doesn’t appear.

I try some tricks, and… TADAAA! The invisible caracters hided between my words had to be shown & give me the opportunity to copy and “replace all” by a normal space caracter and the problem seems to be solved.

Thanks thanks thanks a lot!
    It’s been a while that I’ve been searching for a solution for this problem that makes me angry many nights and you give me the solution so easily. Wow!

Maybe my problem will help someone else.
    Have a nice day!

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi Henrykiki,

Congrats for resolving the issue successfully :) I just gave you a tip about what to look for.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.