Portfolio item list full width template

Home Forums Modern Portfolio item list full width template

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Viktor
    Participant

Portfolio item list full width template

Resolved

Dear Oliver,

First of all, thank you very much for this great theme and also for the major upgrade and support that you provide for it. I have had a few issues following the update but I am very happy to see that most of them have been covered and solved since then.

I have only a slight worry about the way the portfolio page is appearing. After the update, it featured a sidebar beside the portfolio items and unfortunately I haven’t been able to discover the option to set that specific layout to full width.

According to the documentation, it seems that this feature is handled by Jetpack but I just can’t find what to set. :) In the meantime, I decided to remove all the widgets from the sidebar but in the future, it may be nice to have posts with a sidebar, so I would love to understand the way it works.

Apologies if it had been covered so far, I tried my best to find the solution. Many thanks again!

Kind regards,

Viktor

edit: typo

• This topic was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Viktor.
    • This topic was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Viktor.

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi Viktor,

Thank you, I’m glad you like the theme :)

Please note that you can control sidebar appearance however you like with a dedicated plugin. This approach is actually used in theme demo content too, which you can install on your own computer to see how things work.
    On theme demo website you can see how any archive page looks with sidebar and without sidebar.

In theme documentation I suggest using WooSidebars plugin to control the sidebar display if needed, with some usage examples. This plugin is also used in theme demo website (and thus it is required for installing a theme demo content).
    But you can certainly try other similar plugins. I only recommends WooSidebars because that plugin has never disappointed me, unlike others (but it is quite some time I’ve tested more of similar plugins, so, things might have changed since)…

According to the documentation, it seems that this feature is handled by Jetpack

Please note that Jeptack has nothing to do with controlling sidebars display. Can you maybe provide a screenshot of that documentation information so I can check and fix the info I’ve provided?

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viktor
    Participant

Dear Oliver,

Many thanks for the clarification, it seems, I got a bit lost by this in the documentation: ‘Since WordPress 4.7 you can set a custom post type page template for these posts. It supports “With sidebar” page template.’ I Googled this but just got stuck.

I’m not implying that this is misleading in the documentation, I just missed somehow the reference for the WooSidebars plugin.

Thanks a lot for the heads up and wish you a merry xmas. :)

Kind regards,

Viktor

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi Viktor,

Thank you! Merry Christmas to you too! :)

The information that confused you in the theme documentation is actually alright. It does not talk about sidebars, but about page templates. It just confused you as this theme contains a page template called “With sidebar”. By default page templates were only available for pages in WordPress and this has changed in WordPress 4.7 as it also allows using them for other post types. But you can only use page template for specific pages/posts, not for archive pages.

That’s why for managing sidebars site-wide, you need to use a dedicated plugin, such as WooSidebars.

If you are new to WordPress and its terminology, please feel free to check the “First Steps With WordPress” section in theme documentation.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viktor
    Participant

Yes, thank you, all is good, I just wanted to clarify where I got lost. :) Cheers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.