Some questions before I buy (accessibility)

Home Forums Polyclinic Some questions before I buy (accessibility)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

nexgraphics
    Participant

Some questions before I buy (accessibility)

Resolved

Hey there! Have you noticed this support service is provided FREE of charge?
    If you like the speed and accuracy of resolutions, please consider supporting me with a small donation. Thank you

Consider a donation →

Hi there – thanks for building an ACCESSIBLE theme. I do however have questions since this is VERY new to me.

1)How can I be sure that its ACCESSIBLE, is there an actual way to TEST this, and show some kind of score? The reason I am asking is I have one client whose sister got SUED and LOST for not having an accessible web site so my client is seriously RIDING ME to make sure this is done 100% the right way. hes literally freaking out.

2)Is there a reason that the theme is not stretching 100% to the ends of the screen like most of todays themes do?

3)You wrote that the code and theme is LIGHT yet I ran a GT METRIX on it, and it received a score of “C”/”d?”? So it doesnt really load fast at all?

4)Something is wrong on your contact page – words are cut off in the box
    https://themedemos.webmandesign.eu/polyclinic/contact/

5)Do you use any kind of visual composer/drag and drop editor – I need to have customization on this site like dragging columns, text etc – not just using the old style wordpress editor.

Thanks for your help.

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi nexgraphics,

Thank you for interest in the theme! Please note that many of your questions were already answered here on Polyclinic support forum or throughout the whole support website.

1. Please note that accessibility ready themes will help you build an accessible websites, but you will need to build your website content according to accessibility principles and guidelines too. For more info please check theme documentation on accessibility and a knowledge base article for how to test for accessibility (and subsequent links from those resources).
    2. This is purely a theme default design decision. But in theme option you can enable fullwidth layout (stretched 100% to the ends of the screen) and even set up custom content width to your needs :)
    3. The theme itself is light. However, please note that the speed of the website depends on many factors, such as number of plugins used, how optimized is your website (caching), servers setup, geographic location of servers and so on… I’m not sure what page have you tested, but I get score of B/C when testing homepage. The biggest complain of the test is using unscaled images, which is actually a website content, so you can optimize this on your own website. And YSlow score is complaining about not using CDN and making fewer HTTP requests. This, again should be optimized on real websites using caching plugin and a CDN service. I do not optimize these on my theme demo websites as I feel that is cheating – that way you won’t get a real feel of the theme speed. This way you get at least somehow true feel ;)
    4. Thank you for spotting this and reporting! The map image stopped displaying, sorry for that. I’ve fixed the issue now.
    5. I prefer using Beaver Builder page builder (and theme demo website/content was built using this plugin). But you can use whatever page builder plugin you want.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

nexgraphics
    Participant

Hi, i just ran your demo through https://achecker.ca/checker/index.php#output_div

and honestly, the theme came up with TONS of issues, no less than any other theme on themeforest – so what really makes this ADA complaint? Its really misleading :(

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi nexgraphics,

Please go through all the issues reported. No automated tool is 100% correct (especially AChecker ;)) as mentioned in knowledge base article.

Also, you can read more info in other tickets of this support site. Also, please search this support website for accessibility related questions.

For WordPress theme to be marked as accessibility ready it needs to pass accessibility review. All of my accessibility ready themes pass this review/tests and you can build fully accessible websites with them. Please note that many of my customers already did :)

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

By the way, is there any reason you want Polyclinic WordPress theme? Are you building a medical website? If not (or even if you do ;)) you can try my free Reykjavik theme and/or paid Icelander theme. https://www.webmandesign.eu/project-tag/accessibility-ready/

Though, all my accessibility themes are built using the same accessibility principles, AChecker doesn’t throw issues for the other themes (except the WordPress native search form issue described in knowledge base article, which you can decide to fix upon your decision – as you can see AChecker is weird tool to test…).

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Actually, as you can see now, the <i class="... issues reported by AChecker are now fixed as they were coming from theme demo content. I simply replaced the tag with <span aria-hidden="true" class="... where needed in the demo website content and that fixed the issues. Thank you for reporting this, as I wasn’t aware the <i> tags are still present on theme demo website.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

For the record. The conversation was (temporarily) continued at ThemeForest comments.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

nexgraphics
    Participant

My biggest issue is that you don’t even have the accesibility toolbar for resizing or anything on your theme which I have now done heavy research on and these are REQUIRED. Look at this theme:

https://demo.pixelemu.com/pe-services-constructions-wcag/

I spoke to a disability attorney who is 100% on this topic and based on what he told me and what I showed him your theme is simply NOT ADA accessible. This is MANDATORY on all sites as the “basics” and your theme doesnt have it.

I gave you my proof, so Im going to end the conversation as such, do what you want with it but i cannot use this theme based on what I know now.

Thank you,

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi nexgraphics,

Thank you for your research and information provided.

My knowledge may be limited (especially regarding ADA compliance), but from what I understand, accessibility toolbar is not required for accessible websites. I can not find any reference for such requirement anywhere.

To my best knowledge, such toolbars were used in the past mostly (or are still used on older websites) as the technology was not that advanced to allow such functionality in a web browser. However, current web browsers and other assistive technology are capable replacing all the functionality of such accessibility toolbars and doing even better job.

WordPress accessibility standards and WCAG 2.0 Level AA does not requires usage of such toolbar either. I’m not sure about the ADA requirements you mention, but according to a source I’ve checked (after a quick search of the internet), the ADA requirements are not completed yet and so using WCAG 2.0 Level AA is recommended. Which would mean the toolbar is not required for ADA compliance either. But I’m not expert on ADA compliance in any way ;) I simply build accessibility ready WordPress themes.

With Polyclinic (and other of my accessibility ready WordPress themes) you can build WCAG 2.0 Level AA compliant websites. And also US Section 508 compliant, as it is based on WCAG requirements too. I’ve tested my themes for WCAG 2.0 Level AA compliance and WordPress accessibility review is also based on those requirements. And the themes pass the tests. And many of my customers successfully built accessible websites using my themes, including Polyclinic.

If you require an accessibility toolbar functionality on your website, this is considered a plugin territory functionality, which is not permitted in WordPress themes (according to WordPress and also ThemeForest guidelines). And indeed, there seems to be a number of plugins adding such toolbars.

As you can also see, none of official WordPress repository accessibility ready themes (these themes are approved by WordPress accessibility team to pass the review and testing process) contain such toolbar either. (You will find my free themes there too ;)) You can find more information on WordPress accessibility ready themes in WordPress accessibility handbook.

I’m sorry you feel my theme does not meet the accessibility requirements for your website, but I fully respect your decision not to use it.

Thank you for your time and feedback. I wish you good luck with your accessible website project.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.