Strange Search results

Home Forums Polyclinic Strange Search results

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

PolyAnna
    Participant

Strange Search results

Resolved

Hi Oliver!

I pestered you incessantly about a year ago but we have FINALLY launched our website using your PolyClinic theme. We get LOTS of compliments on it, thanks to you.

The SEARCH function is AWESOME and people are very pleased with the results. However, it is displaying an odd behavior and the best way to see it is the USE it. It is fast but the results are fully (or partially) covered with a blank area (colored #f1f3f5). Weird!

I’m attaching a screen shot but it can also be tested from ANY page on the new site. There’s a “Search” word at the top right of the main navigation. Here’s the URL:
    http://okabletech.org

In advance, thanks for your help!
    Lynda Halley

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi Lynda,

I’m glad the theme works fine for you! :)

I can see there are some CSS errors on your website. I’m not sure what’s the reason for them, so, first I suggest you upgrade the theme to its most recent version 1.5.4 to see if that helps.

Have you modified the theme files somehow? Please note that you should not edit theme core files but instead use a child theme.

Do you use a child theme? Do you use a custom CSS? Please check your modifications.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Or do you use some caching and minification plugin? If so, please try flushing your cache and disable minification to see if the problem is there. You see, the theme automatically minifies its CSS so there is no need to do that for https://www.okabletech.org/wp-content/uploads/wmtheme-polyclinic/polyclinic-styles.css file.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

You can actually fix this particular issue with this custom CSS:

.site-main::after {
    	content: '';
    	clear: both;
    	display: table;
    	table-layout: fixed;
    }

But like I’ve said, the minified version of theme CSS is wrong, full of CSS errors. This is not correct as I don’t get those errors on my website. So, though you may fix your issue with CSS code I’ve just provided, it does not fix the core of the problem.

Please check your theme modifications and update the theme to the most recent version to see if it fix the issues.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

PolyAnna
    Participant

Oliver!

As usual, you ROCK! Thank you so much! The code worked perfectly!

We ARE using a child theme (v.1.4.1) and our parent PolyClinic theme is v.1.4.2. So, I WILL update the theme to v.1.5.4. I must admit, I need to re-read about “child” themes but I think (not sure) the fact our v.1.4.1 seems old, it’s OK because the “parent” theme is (and will be) updated.

We have not modified theme files (that I remember!) but, yes, we do have lots of custom CSS. I’ll re-visit it as well and see if it can be cleaned up.

Thank you again SO MUCH! The accessibility of your themes is absolutely essential to our website as we MUST provide screen readability to our users.

Best wishes!
    Lynda

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi Lynda,

Please note that child theme version does not matter. You can set whatever version you want in your child theme. Child theme is your own software, and when using it you can update the parent theme (Polyclinic) without any fear your modifications will be lost.

Also, please note that the solution I’ve provided is very temporary and the actual cause, which is CSS errors, should be fixed. As I can’t really say what else could be affected by those errors.

The weird thing is that when I check your CSS file with version number appended, it contains those errors, but it is fine without the version number. So, maybe even using a plugin could help?

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.