table of contents in page builder

Home Forums Q’tron table of contents in page builder

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jairanganathan
    Participant

table of contents in page builder

Resolved

Hey there! Have you noticed this support service is provided FREE of charge?
    If you like the speed and accuracy of resolutions, please consider supporting me with a small donation. Thank you

Consider a donation →

Hi Oliver,
    Many thanks again for your great work. I had a quick question with Q’Tron, if you wouldn’t mind. I have created numerous multi-page pages which take advantage of the nice-looking table of contents that Q’Tron produces. The issue I am having is with modifying these table-of-contents-containing pages in Page Builder. Specifically, I find it to be impossible to insert a row before the table of contents (which seem to always be the first thing generated for the page). Is there some way to do so? Thanks, as always, for your thoughts.
    Take care,
    Jai

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi Jai,

Thank you, I’m glad you like the theme! :)

I’m actually quite curious how you’ve managed to make Beaver Builder page a multipage/parted/paginated. I simply can not do it when building a page using Beaver Builder.

When I insert the <!--nextpage--> manually into Text Editor module of the page builder, it produces the table of contents, but it does not work correctly, as the whole page builder content is displayed on each (sub)page.

And yes, it is not possible to insert a page builder content before the table of contents or after it. There is no possible way of controlling where the table of contents will be displayed, you see. If you want to do similar layout, I’d suggest hiding the original table of contents produced by the theme using a custom CSS (please use your browser code inspector to determine which CSS selectors you need to use as it really depends if you want to hide both top and bottom table of contents or just one of them) – you can insert these custom styles into Beaver Builder page layout CSS – and then create your own table of contents using page builder modules.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

jairanganathan
    Participant

Hi Oliver,
    Thanks very much for your thoughts. As you mentioned, it is very easy to hide the automatically-generated table of contents using the CSS section of Tools in Page Builder. Additionally, inserting a table of contents manually as a separate Page Builder module makes a lot of sense.

But the stumbling block that you mentioned is also one for me. When Page Builder is not activated for a multi-part page, then pagination for that page works properly. That is: the table of contents shows up properly and – when you click on a section in the table of contents – only that section of content for that page shows up. However, when when Page Builder is active, all of the content for the page is always shown, even if you click on a single section of content in the table of contents.

This is a bit of an issue for me, as some of my pages contain a great deal of content – it would be cumbersome for the reader to have to always scroll through these very long stretches of text. The obvious answer would be to break up this one very long page into smaller pages and just link to each separately. I would prefer not to do this though, as from an editing and writing perspective, it makes sense to keep all of the content on a single topic on a single page.

I guess the question with which I would greatly appreciate your thoughts is the following. When, Page Builder is active, is there some work around (with your theme) that would allow multi-part pages to show just a single part of content at a time? So, for example, let’s say I have a multi-part page called “example” at my site “test.com” which is running Q’Tron. I have used the CSS options in Page Builder to hide the automatically-generated table of contents that the theme normally generates. In Page Builder, I have created two Text Editor modules for this page: one text module that contains my manually-generated table of contents and one text module that contains the actual content of the page (the latter containing the <next page> and <h2> tags indicating where each section break lies). Let’s say that one of the entries in the table of contents module goes to the second section of content (test.com/example/2). I would want to see just that section of content. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks as always for your help.
    Jai

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi Jai,

I’m sorry but making Beaver Builder page builder work with paginated WordPress pages is a question that should be directed to Beaver Builder support. Please contact them for further help if you still want to use the page builder for such pages.

However, another tip from me, depending on your needs, would be to use a different alternative plugin to layout your paginated pages. (Actually, you can do this with some custom HTML and CSS, but using a plugin is easier in most cases, depending on how code-savvy you are.) Because, if you are using page builder only to align the page content to columns, I guess you can try using https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-wp-columns/ or https://wordpress.org/plugins/grid-columns/ plugin. As those plugins does not filter the actual post content in any way (unlike page builders do), they just add elements to it, you should be perfectly fine creating paginated page with text separated to columns.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.