Update will lose customisation…

Home Forums Receptar Update will lose customisation…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

NS
    Participant

Update will lose customisation…

Resolved

Hey there! Have you noticed this support service is provided FREE of charge?
    If you like the speed and accuracy of resolutions, please consider supporting me with a small donation. Thank you

Consider a donation →

Hi,

I’ve spent a lot of time customising my site and I’m reluctant to update the theme as I understand these changes will be lost. I can’t possibly remember every change I’ve made over the past year or more : )

Is there any way to update the theme without using the WordPress Update button? Are the changes documented anywhere so I know what to expect when I update?

Let me know your recommendation.

Thanks.

Oliver Juhas
    Keymaster

Hi NS,

I’ve spent a lot of time customising my site and I’m reluctant to update the theme as I understand these changes will be lost.

I’m not sure what changes you mean. You won’t loose any widgets, menus, posts, pages, nor theme options setup with the theme update. All of these are kept in WordPress database and the theme update will not delete those. The theme is purely meant to display the information from your WordPress database, not alter it in any way. So, in this matter you can update the theme without any issue.

But if you edited the theme files, then yes, you will loose your edits as all the theme files will be overwritten with new ones. That’s why WordPress supports child theme functionality which is also described in theme documentation at https://webmandesign.github.io/docs/receptar/#child-theme You need to use a child theme when modifying the theme’s code in some way. That will keep your parent theme (the actual Receptar theme) up to date, yet you will not loose your code changes.

Is there any way to update the theme without using the WordPress Update button?

You can update the theme manually via FTP. But that will have the same effect as updating the theme via WordPress admin, essentially. So, you can go ahead and use the WordPress dashboard update procedure.

Are the changes documented anywhere so I know what to expect when I update?

Sure. You can find the changes documented at https://github.com/webmandesign/receptar/releases

Tip: If you are still unsure about the theme (or any) update, please make sure to back up your website files and database beforehand, so you can still revert back to current state.

Best regards,

Oliver Juhas
    WebMan Design

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.